Page 1 of 2
Selena Gomez debuts on the WT20 with her song that samples the famous bassline from Talking Heads.
This week on Y101’s Weekly Top 20, DJ Khaled’s I’m the One featuring all his best friends in the song has finally reached the top spot replacing Despacito. DNCE and Nicki Minaj debut with Kissing Strangers, along with Selena Gomez’ catchy Bad Liar. Here are interesting facts you need to know to enjoy these songs even more!
“Kissing Strangers” by DNCE feat. Nicki Minaj
- This is Nicki Minaj's second collaboration with a Jonas brother. The rapper has previously worked with Nick Jonas for the track "Bom Bidi Bom," which was recorded for the Fifty Shades Darker soundtrack.
- The meaning of the song is quite straightforward. Here, Joe Jonas sings about finding love in the city. As the singer told Radio.com, "'Kissing Strangers' is a song about having fun with a stranger, getting to know them a little better, [and then] they're no longer a stranger.”
- Joe Jonas said that Nicki Minaj wrote her featured verse in just 5 minutes! Talking to Radio.com, Jonas said, “We sent Nicki the track, she wrote her verse in like, five minutes, and came out exactly how we'd hopes and she kills it… in the best way!"
“Bad Liar” by Selena Gomez
- The lead single from Selena Gomez' upcoming third album, "Bad Liar" finds her singing about having feelings for a new man who has come into her life. Although Gomez has been "tryna play it coy," she just can't hide her feelings for him.
- The song borrows the famous bassline in Talking Heads’ 1977 new wave hit, “Psycho Killer”. Selena and and co-writer Julia Michaels are big Talking Heads fans and decided to write lyrics over the song’s bassline. Talking Heads frontman David Byrne reacted to the sample by posting on Twitter what he thought of the song. He wrote, “I really like the song, and her performance too”.