As LANY spends a third week atop the WEEKEND TOP 20 charts this week, Avril Lavigne makes a debut with her empowering song “Dumb Blonde” which she said was inspired by a “loser in her life”. You can read all about that song and others more on this week’s WT20FACTS.
Knocker: “Sucker” by Jonas Brothers
- The Jonas Brothers are back with “Sucker”, their first ever single in almost six years. In this upbeat pop song, the Brothers portray a person who is infatuated with someone for whom they would go to great lengths with.
Debut: “Dumb Blonde” by Avril Lavigne feat. Nicki Minaj
- Written by Avril Lavigne, “Dumb Blonde”, her latest single, is an empowering track about proving your haters wrong. According to Avril, this song was inspired by this “loser” in her life who belittled her because she was “threatened by [the singer’s] strength and confidence”. Avril wrote “Dumb Blonde” as a response. In it, she tells her listeners to “never let anyone put you down for being who you are”.
Debut: “I Remember” by Betty Who
- In “I Remember” 27-year old singer Betty Who sings about the highlights and pitfalls of love. In the music video for the song, it appears that Betty Who is advocating to all kinds of love – including extraterrestrial and interspecies acceptance. Betty Who’s lover in the video is either an alien or a fish-man creature similar to the one in the movie “The Shape of Water”. Both Who and the creature smile and dance as Who sings the lines “I don’t want perfect. I want you”.
Gossip – BEFORE YOU EXIT
- Before You Exit, the all-brothers band native from Florida, had long been teasing a brand new album since 2017. Last week it appears that the band is gearing up to drop that new album some time this month. They teased on Twitter about how “some of [their] favorite songs” can be heard on the last chapter of this yet unnamed album. They also announced that a music video will come out today (April 13, 2019), sharing a short clip of the video online along with the title “Pain”.
Fearless Forecast: “I’ve Been Waiting” by Lil Peep & iLoveMakonnen feat. Fall Out Boy
- This is the first posthumous single from the late rapper Lil Peep who died from a drug overdose in 2017. He was 21 years old at the time. “I’ve Been Waiting” was first teased when the rapper was alive. He did an interview where he mentioned that one of his favorite rappers was iLoveMakonnen and one of his favorite bands was Fall Out Boy. “ You put those two together and that’s Lil Peep”. The song was finally released two years later.
#1 “Thick & Thin” by LANY
- The third single off the band’s wildly successful album “Malibu Nights”, “THICK AND THIN” is another LANY synth-driven heartbreak song that pulls at all the heartstrings. Lead singer Paul Klein said the song is about the “promises we make to one another and how those promises do not always coincide with the way our emotions change”.