Happy new year everyone! These are the first hits of the WEEKEND TOP 20 this 2019. Check them out below and read about the inspirations that brought us these songs.
Knocker: “Trip” by Ella Mai
- After charting with the smash hit “Boo’d Up”, Ella Mai attempts to strike gold again with her new single “Trip.” The piano-laden song finds Mai deeply entranced by the love she’s receiving in her relationship.
Debut: “There’s No Way” by Lauv feat. Julia Michaels
- “There’s No Way” is a song that explores the desire of wanting someone at the wrong time. It’s a bittersweet love story about falling in love despite the consequences.
Debut: “Without Me” by Halsey
- “Without Me” is the first new song released by Halsey since her 2017 album. In this song, Halsey dives into her personal feelings and talk about having a relationship in the public eye.
Gossip - G-Eazy
- G-Eazy has been lying low since his break-up with Halsey last November. Halsey moved on by dating a younger guy while G-Eazy opened up about his mother in a recent interview with the Michigan Avenue. In the interview, G-Eazy revealed that all the things he do including his music, is solely to provide for his mother who suffers from chronic pain. He said; “I made it my mission to take care of her and send her money every month.”
Fearless Forecast* (future hit) – “Bad Liar” by Imagine Dragons
- “Bad Liar” is the latest single from Imagine Dragons about lead singer Dan Reynolds’ supposed divorce with his wife. The couple however didn’t actually go through with the divorce. They announced they were dating once again and were back together just a day after releasing the song “Bad Liar”.
#1 “thank u, next” by Ariana Grande
- “thank u, next” is a deeply layered pop song that discusses themes of self-love, growth, and empowerment after a breakup. In this song, Ariana Grande references her most public romantic relationships over the years and does not shy away from name-dropping them in the process.