The Chainsmokers and Coldplay lead Y101’s Weekly Top 20 for another week!
Something Just Like This, the successful collaborative project between indie pop band Coldplay and EDM-bros The Chainsmokers, has once again topped the Weekly Top 20.
In the last article we revealed how the song is about a relationship that doesn’t really need to be superhumanly perfect. Now here are more facts on the WT20 number one song! We are also listing down interesting things you didn’t know about this week’s debut songs!
Chainsmokers ft. Coldplay
“Something Just Like This”
- Back in March, The Chainsmokers matched a record already set by legendary bands The Beatles and the Bee Gees. The EDM duo became the third musical act in Billboard Hot 100’s 59-year history to have three songs chart in the top five. They achieved the feat when Something Just Like This joined Paris and Closer in the top 5 of Billboard Hot 100’s week dated March 18, 2017.
- In the last article, we discussed how the song is about a relationship that doesn’t need to be superhumanly perfect. In relation to that, the line “doo-doo-doo” was added by Chris Martin to represent the positivity he feels. It also feels like he is building them to the chorus with simplicity and ease.
- The lyric video to the song references visual elements from Coldplay’s 2011 music video for Strawberry Swing. Both videos feature a superhero and chalk graffiti.
DJ Khaled ft. Beyoncé and Jay-Z
- This catchy hip-hop track came together at the last minute, with the trio laying it down the night before the 2017 Grammy Awards. The next day, right after the Grammys came to a close, DJ Khaled dropped the surprise single featuring his manager Jay Z and musical superstar Beyoncé.
- In the song, Jay-Z appears to be throwing some shade at Drake. The line “know you ain't out here talkin' Summers, right? I know you ain't walkin' 'round talkin' down sayin' boss s--t when you a runner, right?” is a response to Drake’s diss at Jay-Z on the song Summer Sixteen.
- DJ Khaled is famous for being a record producer, record label executive, and a radio personality. He used to go by the name Arab Attack, but changed it after the September 11 terrorist attacks.
- The band LANY first gained recognition from the online audio platform Soundcloud. Right now they have almost 35,000 followers and have debuted most of their songs there. The name of the band is pronounced “Lay-nee”
- Lead singer Paul Klein said the name LANY is an acronym for “Los Angeles New York”. He said they named the band LANY because they wanted a four-letter word for design and aesthetics purposes.
- The term pink skies refer to the phrase “la vie en rose” which means life in pink.This alludes to the phrase of seeing life through rosy glasses when you’re with someone you love.
“I Got You”
- According to Bebe Rexha, the song deals with her move to Los Angeles and the frustrations she felt when she lost her best friend, her manager and her boyfriend soon after arriving. She said the song is about “finding somebody who's also emotionally unavailable, but wanting to just jump into something because it feels right. And telling the other person that I've been through the exact same thing."
- The song was first released on October 28, 2016. At that time, Rexha said “I Got You is about letting your walls down. Finding someone that is worth giving your heart to. Taking a chance on love.
- Bebe Rexha first gained popularity as a featured guest vocalist for many artists. She charted on multiple charts worldwide because of it. She gained international attention due to songs such as Me Myself and I with G-Eazy, Hey Mama with David Guetta, and In the Name of Love with Martin Garrix.
#rhythmofthecity #y101fm #alwaysfirst #entertainment #soundtrackofyoursummer