The Kontra Alternative Film Project is a mini film festival for students with the objective of 1) providing alternative means of the study of film outside the standard classroom experience, 2) to develop the creativity and ingenuity of aspiring student filmmakers of the Philippines, and 3) to develop and learn from a relationship with other Film enthusiasts from different colleges and universities.
Participants of the competition will be tasked to create a 5 minute film in the duration of 1 week. As an additional restriction, the film must focus on particular “Ingredients” that will be revealed to the filmmakers ten days before the Finals screening day.
A panel composed of established filmmakers and film critics will be gathered to critique all the films that will be shown on the Finals screening day. The event will culminate in the awarding of the best films as adjudged by the panel of judges. The BEST FILM winner will receive a certificate, trophy, and cash prize equivalent to half the amount gathered from the participant’s fee.
Rules and Mechanics:
1. The competition is open to all bona fide students of a College/University/Film school of AY 2012-2013 and graduates of AY 2011-2012.
2. Interested Participants will have until TUESDAY May 15, 2012 11:59PM to apply for the competition. Registration will be done online. Your e-mail message must follow this format.
SUBJECT OF E-MAIL: KONTRA 2012 (surname, initials)
EXAMPLE: KONTRA 2012 (Quinto, RAM)
3. Additional guidelines will be sent via e-mail on Wednesday, May 16, 2012. The "ingredients" will also be announced that day.
4. Registration fee is Php 100 per entry to be collected with submission of entry.
5. All entries should be shot on VIDEO. Entries shot on film will not be accepted.
6. Entries may be in any genre: Narrative, Experimental, Animation, or Documentary.
7. Maximum length of the film is limited to 5 minutes exclusive of both OBB and CBB. There is no minimum length for entries.
8. Two (2) copies of the entry must be submitted and labeled with the TITLE, FILMMAKER/S NAME/S and TOTAL RUNNING TIME. One must be on dvd file format and the other one must be on .mov.
9. Final deadline of submission of entries is WEDNESDAY May 23, 2012 at a designated time and place to be determined. In the event participant wishes to submit their film early, a drop off location can be arranged.
10. A maximum of 12 FILMS will be jury screened on SATURDAY May 26, 2012. In the event of more than 12 participants, films will be prescreened by a separate jury on THURSDAY May 24 and the final 12 will be announced on FRIDAY May 25, 2012.
11. Official Entries will compete for the following awards:
MOST CREATIVE USE OF INGREDIENTS
The winners for the Viewers' Choice and Most Creative Use of Ingredients awards will receive a certificate and trophy.
12. Entries must not have been exhibited commercially in any theater or television. Entries must have been made specifically for the KONTRA ALTERNATIVE FILM PROJECT. 13. UP CINEMA will not be responsible for any legal complaints as a result of the filmmaker’s use of music and other copyrighted works on the film.
14. Submitted copies of official entries will be the property of UP CINEMA. No master copy should be submitted.
15. The decision of the Board of Judges during the finals night is final. The Committee and Board reserves the right not to give awards in any category should no entry merit it.