Image Source: officialcharts.com
Three new songs debut on the Weekly Top 20 this week. These are “2002” by Anne-Marie, a love song about the past, “Freaky With You” by Nelly, a sexy bedroom jam, and “No Tears Left to Cry” by Ariana Grande, her first proper single after the Manchester bombing during her concert last year. Read more about this week’s hits below.
“Somebody” by The Chainsmokers & Drew Love
- “Somebody” explores what it’s like living in a world where everyone else loses their true identities in pursuit of material objects and the struggle to not fall into this trap.
“2002” by Anne-Marie
- In this song, Anne-Marie reminisces about falling in love for the first time and all the songs that soundtracked that romance. The song references about six songs released in the late 1990s and early 2000s, like Jay-Z’s “99 Problems,” Nelly’s “Ride wit Me,” NSYNC’s “Bye Bye Bye” and Britney Spears' “…Baby One More Time.”
“Freaky With You” by Nelly feat. Jacquees [pronounced ZHAK-KWEES]
- Nelly returns to the music scene after being accused of sexual assault and rape by multiple women last year. After three years without a song, he drops “Freaky With You”, a sexy mid-tempo R&B jam that finds him crooning about some late night bedroom fun.
“No Tears Left To Cry” by Ariana Grande
- This is a self-lifting anthem written by Ariana Grande in the wake of last year’s Manchester bombing attack that occurred during her concert. Grande was very deeply affected by the attack and left her in pain and grief for a whole year. This song marks her return to music.
GOSSIP – 5 S E C O N D S O F S U M M E R
Last Tuesday, after their appearance in Australia’s “The Project”, 5 Seconds of Summer were mercilessly mocked by Twitter users for using an unusual Americanized accent. The pop-rock band, who hail from Sydney, explained their changing accents and said that they’ve “moved to different places over the years”, and that their “accents have evolved over time ...back and forth and it’s just a big mess”.
#1 - - “Let Me” by ZAYN
- “Let Me” is Zayn Malik’s first solo single of 2018 and talks about trying to win a girl over with promises of a life of luxury and loyalty. According to fans and critics, the song make references to Gigi Hadid, Zayn’s Malik’s on and off girlfriend. The song’s music video also features a model that looks eerily similar to Gigi Hadid playing Zayn’s love interest.