This year has been a great year for music and Y101 has compiled all the biggest hits in the past 12 months. From January’s Paris to late early December’s Havana, we have compiled the list of the most requested, most played hottest tracks of 2017. Read below.
- I’m the One
DJ Khaled ft. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, & Lil Wayne
- This song features Chance the Rapper, Justin Bieber, Quavo and Lil Wayne all bragging to the ladies in their lives that they are "the only one" for them. The Biebs handles hook duties for the song where he tells his girl he's "the real one" before Quavo, Chance and Wayne slide in with verses of their own.
- DJ Khaled only made this song because he felt that he’s finally at a certain point in his career in 2017. He said that he would only make a song with Justin Bieber if he feels like it was the right time. DJ Khaled released this song back in April and he thinks Bieber and the rest of the guest rappers really knocked the song out.
- Shape of You - Ed Sheeran
- This song is very simple. It’s basically about Ed Sheeran singing a song about falling in love with a girl that he meets at a bar. Sheeran originally wrote Shape of You with the intention of it being recorded by Rihanna, but Sheeran later decided to keep the song for himself.
- Shape of You is nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance at the upcoming 60th Grammy Awards.
It is also Billboard’s best performing song of 2017 and Spotify’s most streamed song ever.
- Paris - The Chainsmokers
- The Chainsmokers said this song is about those times when you are in one place with a situation but imagine you are somewhere else. Like those times you were laying in bed staring at the ceiling dreaming up of being in a different place.
- Andrew Taggart said that Paris was inspired by his friend who, in trying to escape from day to day life, ended up struggling with a serious drug addiction. Taggart said the Paris in the song is just a representation of a place you yearn to go.
- Despacito - Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee ft. Justin Bieber
- Despacito is a reggaeton song about the act of having sexual intercourse, moving slowly on the rhythm and dual attraction between the male and the female for who this song is written.
- Despacito is nominated for three awards at the 60th Grammy Awards. It is nominated for Best Pop Duo or Group Performance, Song of the Year, and Record of the Year.
17. New Rules - Dua Lipa
- Here, Dua Lipa sings about trying to move on from an ex. She explained "It's about keeping your distance from someone who's bad for you. I'm setting some rules down so [that I] won't go back to that person."
These are Dua Lipa’s rules:
1. Don't pick up the phone, you know he's only calling 'cause he's drunk and alone.
2. Don't let him in, you'll have to kick him out again.
3. Don't be his friend, you're only going to wake up in his bed in the morning. And if you're under him, you ain't over him!"
Hoodie - Hey Violet
- This song was written from the point of view of somebody who has recently broken up with his or her partner. According to the song, even though the relationship has ended, the narrator still kept his or her partner’s hoodie because it reminds them of their ex. Rena, the vocalist for Hey Violet, said during a Facebook live broadcast back in June that she wrote this song but it wasn’t particularly about her.