Image Source: timeincuk.net
Justin Bieber and BloodPop remains at the top of the WEEKLY TOP 20 charts this week. Meanwhile Taylor Swift remains behind at number two. Three new songs debut on the charts. Those are Dua Lipa’s NEW RULES, Camila Cabello’s HAVANA, and Sam Smith’s Too Good at Goodbyes. All three songs talk about love. Check out what the singers have to say about their songs below on this week’s WT20FACTS.
Rockstar by Post Malone
- On this song, Post Malone compares his habits to the “live fast, die young” rock and roll lifestyle. Along the way, he references real events in rock history, name-drops Bon Scott (of AC/DC) and Jim Morrison (of The Doors), and highlights rockstar traditions like throwing “TVs out of hotel windows.”
New Rules by Dua Lipa
- This song is about moving on from an ex and how you need to stay away from them. In the song, Dua Lipa is basically saying we need to treat ourselves like we would a friend with our own advice.
- During a behind-the-scenes interview of the music video of this song, Dua Lipa explains that the song “is a breakup up song [she wishes] she had when [she] was breaking up with someone”. Lipa explains further that NEW RULES is about “taking charge”…about setting some rules down so [that you] won’t go back to a toxic relationship.
Havana by Camila Cabello
- Havana is Camila Cabello’s new song about falling in love “with this bad boy from Havana”, the capital City of the island country of Cuba.
- The song is also an ode to Cabello’s hometown of [Kohimar], in Havana, Cuba. Camila was born in the country in 1997, but later immigrated with her family to the U.S. a few years later.
Too Good at Goodbyes by Sam Smith
- During a radio interview on the day of the song’s release, Sam Smith explained that he drew on personal experiences for the lyrics of Too Good at Goodbyes. The singer says the song isn’t a sad one but more about feeling you could handle a break-up better than before.
- Critics noted how Smith has matured in this song. His debut album in 2014 was full of songs about unrequited love and loneliness. Now with this new song, Smith shows that he is more wary now and better prepared when that predictable "goodbye" comes.
Friends by Justin Bieber & BloodPop
- Do you want to know how the song Friends was released? First Bieber played his fans a clip of the song when he was at the Milan Airport. Then a few weeks later, he teased the single by tweeting “Can we still be friends?” The next day Bieber announced an upcoming release on Twitter and Instagram. He posted a picture of two birds tearing apart a worm. He captioned the post with “New music. Thursday noon”. Then a day before the song was officially released, Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter revealed they co-wrote the single.