This week on the WT20, Katy Perry & Nicki Minaj’s diss track Swish Swish is number one. Everyone knows that the song is about Katy’s feud with Taylor Swift. But there’s also someone else alluded to the song. Keep on reading below to know who that person is!
Meanwhile, The Chainsmokers debut with their new single, Honest. That song features an intro by the inimitable Bono of U2. Martin Garrix and Troye Sivan also made it to the charts with their collaboration, There for You. Find out more about these songs by scrolling down below!
“Another Love Song” by Ne-Yo
- Another Love Song is the first lead single from Ne-Yo’s upcoming fourth album scheduled to be released in October. The album will reportedly be called ‘Good Man’ and will “feature funky feel-good tracks inspired by Michael Jackson”.
- Another Love Song is a classic-sounding, feel-good song that celebrates the blinding bliss of falling in love.
- Another Love Song is Ne-Yo’s first single in two years. The last time the singer posted a song was in 2015, and one of his last hits was a feature on Time of Our Lives, a song by Pitbull in 2014.
“Honest” by The Chainsmokers
- Honest is a song about a famous person’s internal conflict between hooking up with a girl he just met — a girl who is only interested in him for superficial reasons — and waiting until the famous person gets back to the person he truly loves.
- “Honest” contains a spoken word intro that says “there is no end to the hypocrisy of the human heart”. It was recently revealed that the person speaking that intro was no other than Bono of U2. Alex Pall expressed his gratitude on Facebook by saying The Chainsmokers were lucky to have met “incredible artists” like Bono get on board their songs.
“There for You” by Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan
- Lyrically, There For You is a song about supporting each other and being by your lover’s side. In a series of tweets, singer Troye Sivan stated that the lyrics, for him personally, are about his fans who have stuck with him since day one.
- The line of the song that goes, “If I call you on the phone. Need you on the other side”, is said to be a reference to Troye Sivan’s 2015 song Ease, which has similar lyrics.
“Wild Thoughts” by DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller
- Wild Thoughts is a song that finds Rihanna and Bryson Tiller singing to their lovers on how they bring out “wild thoughts” when they’re together.
- If you have a good ear for music, then you will recognize what popular song was sampled in Wild Thoughts. The track sampled is the classic 1999 Santana hit “Maria Maria” .
- This is the first time Rihanna and Bryson Tiller collaborated on a song. However, they have, on multiple occasions, jammed together on Snapchat.
#1 “Swish Swish” by Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj
- We all know that Katy Perry wrote Swish Swish and meant it to be a diss track for her rival Taylor Swift. But what you may not know is that Nicki Minaj wrote a verse on the song and alludes it to her own music rival, rapper Remy Ma. The line “silly rap beefs just get me more checks” is a reference to Minaj and Ma’s feud that started way back in 2007.
- When Katy performed Swish Swish on SNL, back in May, she was joined by a bevy of dancers who turned the stage into a runway. The showstopper was 15-year-old Instagram star Russell Horning, who did some wild dance moves while wearing a backpack. Horning became a social media sensation immediately right after that performance.
Gossip: - Justin Bieber
Just a week after he cancelled the remaining days of his World Tour, Justin Bieber made headlines again when he drove a pick up truck and hit a photographer. Police say there was an event in Beverly Hills when Bieber tried to drive away and the accident occurred. They also said that Bieber stayed at the scene during the investigation and appeared to offer assistance to the man who was hit.
#rhythmofthecity #y101fm #alwaysfirst #wt20facts