This week on the Weekend Top 20, Bad Liar by Selena Gomez tops the charts for the second week.
Meanwhile, Liam Payne and Quavo debut with their song Strip that Down, a song co-written by Ed Sheeran! Calvin Harris’ single Rollin also debut, along with LANY’s anthem for long distance relationships, Current Location. Check out interesting facts on this week’s hits!
“Strip That Down” by Liam Payne ft. Quavo
- Did you know that Strip That Down is co-written by Ed Sheeran? Liam Payne revealed in an interview that Sheeran suggested the lyric “You know, I used to be in 1D”. The red-head Suffolk singer-songwriter has worked with One Direction in the past as well.
- Ed Sheeran also has a vocal appearance on the track. While most assume the pitched down voice on the line “Love when you hit the ground” found on the chorus was rapper Quavo’s, Liam revealed it is actually Ed Sheeran’s own voice.
“Rollin” by Calvin Harris ft. Future and Khalid
- The line “I've been rollin' on the freeway, I've been riding 85” sung by Khalid on the song could mean different things. It could be a reference to the Interstate highway 85 in Atlanta, or the speed 58 miles per hour. It could also be a reference to the use of E85 fuel. This type of gas contains 85% ethanol which is said to let vehicles move at a faster speed.
- In the first verse, rapper Future sings “Got L-O-V-E on my right leg, that's Gucci, Got L-O-V-E on my main ho, that's Pucci”. Future is referring to the ‘LOVED’ embroidered Gucci Pants, retailing for thousands of dollars. And Pucci refers to Emilio Pucci, a lavish Italian fashion brand that designs and produce clothing for women. These lines are basically saying that Future will gladly dress his girls in expensive brands.
“Current Location” by LANY
- “Current Location” is the new single by LANY off their first EP titled ‘kinda’ released in 2016. The EP contains only 6 songs, all of which were songs LANY originally posted on their Soundcloud account before they received mainstream attention.
- The song is about long distance relationship. In the verse of the song, the singer tells his girl that he understands why she needs to leave town to find a new career. But he also doesn’t want to bear the burdens of a long distance relationship with no guarantee that she will come back to him.
#1 “Bad Liar” by Selena Gomez
- Selena says that Bad Liar kind of tells a story of that feeling when you're obsessed with someone. The singer says “it’s that kind of feeling, where you can't get someone out of your head. You're willing to dress differently, you want to speak differently You just can't play it cool."
- The retro music video of Bad Liar features a recreation of a love triangle at a 1970s high school. The clip features Gomez playing four different roles - an awkward bi-curious high school student, her blonde, peppy gym teacher and both her parents.
“Secrets” by The Weeknd
- “Secrets” initially inspired by Dolly Parton, finds Abel (aka The Weeknd) explaining that he can fully understand what’s going on in the girl's mind. The track was initially meant as a country song, but later to a new-wave/soul version to suit The Weeknd’s new artificial styles.
- The track noticeably samples two well known New Wave songs of the 1980’s. The entire chorus is an interpolation of The Romantics' “Talking In Your Sleep,” while the backing track also relies heavily on a sample of Tears For Fears' “Pale Shelter.”
Ellie Goulding has just been recently spotted off the coast of the Italian island of Capri. The singer was lapping up the sunshine and enjoying some quality time with her Team GB rower boyfriend Caspar Jopling. The couple was pictured putting out a public display of affection, where 32 year old Ellie tenderly stroking her 23-year old athlete boyfriend’s back, while planting a kiss on him.
#rhythmofthecity #y101fm #alwaysfirst #entertainment