Check out fun facts on this week’s hot hits!
Selena Gomez’ infectious Bad Liar finally made it to the number one spot on this week’s Weekly Top 20. Not only that, Miley Cyrus’ Malibu and newcomer Maggie Lindemann’s Pretty Girls debut on the weekly charts as well. Meanwhile LANY’s new song Current Location is expected to chart on the WT20 soon. Before we see that song climb up in a few weeks, here are quick facts you need to know about it. There are quick facts about the other songs as well. Check it out!
“Malibu” by Miley Cyrus
- Named after the California beach community where Miley Cyrus resides, Malibu is a love song about her fiancé, Liam Hemsworth. The lyrics of the song addresses Liam directly, “I never would've believed you if three years ago you told me I'd be here writing this song. But here I am, next to you, the sky so blue, in Malibu”
- Though on the surface, the song is about Miley' blissful life with Liam Hemsworth, she pointed out that there's a deeper meaning behind the lyrics, too. Miley says the line, “'cuz now I'm as free as birds catchin' the wind” represents how Miley isn’t locked in the Hollywood grid anymore where she used to get trapped by everyone. Now Miley admits she is free.
“Pretty Girl” by Maggie Lindemann
- “Pretty Girl’ is 18-year old Maggie Lindemann’s fourth original song. It’s a catchy pop tune about what it’s like to be a young woman in 2016 – the year she first wrote the song.
- According to Maggie, the song is about getting judged based on your looks and what’s said on social media. “People will think they know you just from that. There’s more to someone than physical appearance. The song basically says, ‘Screw that!’ Being a young woman, I feel like we’re very judged based on our looks alone. This is a song for everyone who feels that way.”
“Current Location” by LANY
- “Current Location” is the new single by LANY off their first EP titled ‘kinda’ released in 2016. The EP contains only 6 songs, all of which were songs LANY originally posted on their Soundcloud account before they received mainstream attention.
- The song is about long distance relationship. In the verse of the song, the singer tells his girl that he understands why she needs to leave town to find a new career. But he also doesn’t want to bear the burdens of a long distance relationship with no guarantee that she will come back to him.
#1 “Bad Liar” by Selena Gomez
- “Bad Liar” is the lead single from Selena's third studio album. "Bad Liar" finds her singing about having feelings for a new man who has just come into her life. - “All my feelings on fire.Guess I'm a bad liar” - Though Selena has been "tryna play it coy," she just can't hide her feelings for him.
- Selena discussed the song during an interview on the radio. She says; "'Bad Liar' kind of tells a story of that feeling when you're obsessed with someone. I think that this feeling, it's like you can't get them out of your head. You're willing to dress differently, you want to speak differently You just can't play it cool."
Did you know that Demi Lovato’s half-sister, Madison De La Garza, is famous too; she’s best known for being on Desperate Housewives as the daughter of Eva Longoria’s character Gabi. Now 15-years old, Madison has her fair share of fame as well. She recently posted on Twitter a throwback video of when she was 8-years old performing a quick-change magic trick.