Meanwhile, French Montana has a new song that is expected to climb higher next week.
This week on Y101’s Weekly Top 20, DJ Khaled’s all-star I’m the One becomes the number one hit for the second week. Meanwhile, Kygo and Ellie Goulding’s first collab debuts on the chart alongside newcomer Anne-Marie’s paranoid hit. Check out some quick facts and meanings about the lines in these hits below.
“First Time” by Kygo ft. Ellie Goulding
- The song is a nostalgic track reminiscing young love. However it is not of the romantic type. When we hear the first line “We were lovers for the first time”, we instantly think of a couple, but the song is actually referring the relationship of two siblings who used to be best friends.
- In the chorus you can hear the line, “Re: Stacks on the playback”. That line refers to the 2007 song “Re: Stacks” by indie folk artist Bon Iver. The theme of First Time relates well to “Re: Stacks,” which is also about reminiscing the people we lost.
“Alarm” by Anne-Marie
- According to the singer, the song is about somebody she used to date and whom she always had a suspicion on for having done “something naughty.”
- The line “I should've known a cheat stays a cheater. So here we are” is a reference to the fact that the guy (whom the song is about) cheated on a woman just to be with Anne-Marie. Now, Anne-Marie is suspecting the guy might cheat again.
“Unforgettable” by French Montana ft. Swae Lee
- In honor of his birthday last November, rapper French Montana shared “Unforgettable” on Instagram for the first time. However the song was deleted not soon after. About 5 months later, the song was re-mixed, mastered and released as an official single, with a few changes that include Swae Lee replacing Jeremih’s feature on the song.
- The line “I had enough convo for 24” in the chorus has two meanings. It could refer to Swae thinking he has enough to chat about to this girl for a full day (24 hours). Or that he could have enough to chat about this year – since Swae will be turning 24 years old this month.