Zedd and Alessia Cara has finally been displaced from the number one spot.
This week on Y101’s Weekly Top 20, Calvin Harris, with great contributions from Frank Ocean and Migos, has finally reached number one. Paramore debuts with their 80’s pop rock inspired Hard Times, and newcomers Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, both from Puerto Rico, made their debut on charts over the world with their Justin Bieber assisted hit, Despacito. Here are facts that will surely make these songs even better to enjoy!
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean & Migos
- “‘Slide' is a slang term for consistently engaging in, and relishing, sexual acts without strings attached.Frank questions why this person takes part in meaningless sex. He fears that if they have one-night stands “on all nights like this,” they will be with a different person on different nights.
- The song’s famous high pitched vocal opening line is a reference to a painting by Picasso. Ocean is actually saying “I might empty my bank account and buy that boy with a pipe, i might.” It implies that Ocean wants to buy the 1905 Pablo Picasso painting titled Boy with a Pipe, that was sold in auction for 104 million dollars!
- Slide is the first of ten new tracks that producer Calvin Harris is planning on releasing throughout 2017. The 2nd song he released was Heatstroke featuring Young Thug, Pharrell Williams and Ariana Grande, and the third and latest release was Rollin’ a track featuring Future and DJ Khaled.
“Thinking ‘Bout You”
- Dua Lipa is a 21 year old English singer who at age 14 began her music career by covering songs on YouTube.
- Thinking ‘Bout You was first released in 2015 through Soundcloud. It caught the attention of Lana Del Rey’s management and signed Dua Lipa to a recording deal a year later.
- Dua Lipa will release her debut album titled Dua Lipa this June 2, 2017.
Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee ft. Justin Bieber
- The word “Despacito” is Spanish for “slowly”. According to Luis Fonsi the Puerto Rican artist who co-wrote and performed the song, Despacito was written with “the intention of creating a fun tune that would make people want to dance”. The lyrics is about having a sexual relationship, performed in a smooth and romantic way rather than using erotic language.
- There are at least three official remixes of the song. The first solo pop version of the song was released in March. Then there’s a salsa version featuring Puerto Rican musician Victor Manuelle. And the third remix features Justin Bieber, who sang both English and Spanish lines on the track, a first for Bieber.
- Despacito became the first song primarily in Spanish to top the Billboard Hot 100 since ""Macarena" (Bayside Boys Mix) in 1996.
- The lead single from After Laughter was not only Paramore's first new music since 2013's self-titled release, but also marked their first recording with original drummer Zac Farro in nearly seven years.
- The song's lyrical content describes the "deep depression" that hang over lead singer Hayley Williams during the writing and recording process for After Laughter, stemming from relationship issues both personal and professional.
- The music video for Hard Times is inspired by several INXS videos, a-ha’s Take on Me, and Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer. The band wanted to embody some kind of '80s vibe, but not do a total throwback video.
DJ Khaled ft. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, Lil Wayne
“I’m the One”
- This song features Chance the Rapper, Justin Bieber, Quavo (of Migos) and Lil Wayne all bragging to the ladies in their lives that they are "the only one" for them. The Biebs handles hook duties where he tells his girl he's "the real one" before Quavo, Chance and Wayne slide in with verses of their own.
- This is the first time producer DJ Khaled worked with his long-time friend Justin Bieber. Khaled said during an interview that he wanted to do a record with Bieber only until he “felt like [he’s] in that certain point in [his] career”
- The little boy featured in the opening shot of the music video is DJ Khaled’s own son, Asahd Tuck. DJ Khaled literally played his latest album, which features I’m the One, while his wife was pushing baby Asahd out during labor.
On Julia Michaels’ latest interview with Billboard magazine, she revealed the stories behind her numerous tattoos on her body. There's a treble clef on one of her knuckles; a piano, a microphone and a quill scattered up and down her arms. Her right bicep bears the image of a typewriter. And then there's the figure of a faceless woman. Michaels said that it represents how she makes songs and hides behind people and let everyone else do their thing.
#rhythmofthecity #y101fm #alwaysfirst #songfacts #soundtrackofyoursummer