Find out what we’re talking about here.
This week Zedd and Alessia Cara’s Stay stays atop Y101’s Weekly Top 20. The EDM banger reigns supreme even though a few new songs made their first appearance on the chart. Two of the songs that debuted this week share the first word on the title; here’s what they are about.
No More Sad Songs by Little Mix
- In the song, the Little Mix quartet are trying to get over their lost loves by spending the night at a club. As long as the music is loud, they can forget about their pesky exes and pretend for a few hours that everything is still alright. That is why they plead to the DJ, "I'm begging please don't play no more sad songs."
- The he song was written by American singer-songwriter Emily Warren, who co-wrote the Chainsmokers' hit "Don't Let Me Down."
- There is a remix version of the song that features newly-recorded vocals from American rapper Machine Gun Kelly.
No Promises by Cheat Codes ft. Demi Lovato
- The song is about the beginning of a relationship. According to Billboard, the song flows like a perfect summer club-banger.
- The song marks the first release of Demi Lovato since announcing her hiatus from the music industry last year.
- The song also marks the first time Cheat Codes, an American electronic DJ trio, appeared on the charts. They are a relatively new artist who first gained international recognition for their song ‘Sex’ released February 2016.
Symphony by Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson
- According to PopJustice, British dance trio Clean Bandit and singer Zara Larsson’s ‘Symphony’ is a “song about songs”. During the course of ‘Symphony’ Zara compares her new found love to hearing a beautiful symphony.
- A symphony is an extended musical composition, which literally translates as "sounding together." Zara compares her relationship with her to a symphony, in which their coming together produces a beautiful noise and "every melody is timeless."
- The song's music video was directed by Clean Bandit members Grace Chatto and Jack Patterson. It features vocalist Zara Larsson performing the song in a concert backed by the Bandits and a huge orchestra, while a tragic story of love and loss plays out in flashbacks
Also this week, Ed Sheeran’s new single Happier is looking to break in the charts. Let’s find out what this acoustic ballad is really all about;
Happier by Ed Sheeran
- According to Sheeran himself, Happier is him “writing a grown-up song”. He says it’s about him realizing that he’s happy that his ex-girlfriends are happy with someone else.
- The song is a collaboration with One Republic’s Ryan Tedder, who has penned hits for the likes of Leona Lewis ("Bleeding Love") and Beyoncé ("Halo")
- Ed Sheeran got to collaborate with Ryan Tedder after meeting him in the dressing room on the set of X Factor. Sheeran said, ‘He was in the room next to me so I just popped my head around the corner and was like, 'Oh, do you want to write a song tonight?'"
#rhythmofthecity #y101fm #alwaysfirst #entertainment #soundtrackofyoursummer