This goes to show that language isn’t a barrier to making a great hit!
This week on the Weekly Top 20, Zedd and Alessia Cara’s EDM banger, Stay, stays atop the number one spot for a third week. Calvin Harris slides in to the number two spot with his collab-heavy summer anthem Slide. And coming in behind the two aforementioned songs are Drake’s Passionfruit and Jason Derulo’s Swalla.
Meanwhile in the charts’ bottom spots, two new songs make its appearance. Happier by Ed Sheeran and fckroun by Cebu’s very own Karencitta made it to the number 20 and 18 spots, respectively. Here are facts that will make these songs even better!
Fckroun by Karencitta
- Karencitta is a young artist popular in social media. She makes vlogs and short video comedy clips. She’s currently in Los Angeles to work on a secret project. She also stars in the news Amazon Prime movie, The Funny Man.
- According to Karencitta, the song was inspired by Filipino culture. She said the song was more about expressing womanhood against the strict and old Filipino tradition of courtship. In Y101’s interview with her, Karencitta stated, “Being a young woman and artist, I need to set the example that it’s OK to feel desire and to freely express that. We need to stop judging each other and instead, embrace humanity and womanhood. But being raised by strict and old school Filipino parents, I was terriﬁed of talking to them about men”
- Karencitta said the bisaya rap represents the polarity of the song’s message. She said it expresses the frustration and love of a young Cebuano living with strict parents.
Thinking ‘Bout You by Dua Lipa
- Dua Lipa is a 21 year old English singer who at age 14 began her music career by covering songs on YouTube.
- Thinking ‘Bout You was first released in 2015 through Soundcloud. It caught the attention of Lana Del Rey’s management and signed Dua Lipa to a recording deal a year later.
- Dua Lipa will release her debut album titled Dua Lipa this June 2, 2017.